Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lazy Sundays with My "Top Cat"

Truly...is there anything else QUITE as luxurious as a lazy Sunday with nothing outside of the house on the schedule for the day? Sleep is one of those treasures that has been in short supply in my world over the past nine months (see earlier posts re: heart-ripping by the imbecile formerly known as fiancee'), and Sunday is generally the one day a week I don't have to hear the alarm clock on my cell phone blaring an obnoxious reminder that sleep must end -- no matter much I want and need more of it -- to begin another frantically busy day.

After moving into my new place, it was a challenge to settle into a new routine and what felt like a cavernously barren space. When the man I thought I knew and I went our separate ways, I lost...among many things...the custody fight over our little cat who I completely adored. By his twisted logic, she was "his cat" -- even though I was the one who fed her, cleaned her box, bought her food and litter, brushed her, and loved her...yet ANOTHER barometer of his self-centered, ass-holiness!!

From the tender age of three years, I have had a number of cats who owned me -- even when I lived in the sorority house and was busy doing my college thing, I had a cat that stayed with Mama and Daddy. Needless to say, the house seemed empty and my heart was aching on many, many levels.

During a Sunday of unpacking in that empty-feeling house, I took a break to go for groceries...and in
a brief moment of weakness from missing my little cat, went into Petco...and it seemed to be fate....the adorable little kitten had been found under the porch of a school out at the beach and taken in by a local no-kill group...and the family who had stated interest in taking her home earlier in the day changed course...so Daisy Mae came home to live with me a week later...and hence began our lazy Sunday (and crazy every other day too!) routine.

It has been a delight to have my "Top Cat" (my Paw used to call all the cats in my family "Top Cat" -- even though he didn't like cats -- uh, huh...riiiiiiiiiiiiight...) with me. She has helped me be able to smile again and has finally gotten over the 5 am snuggle sessions she learned based on the work schedule of her foster family. Being low on sleep already and having a spunky little kitten, no matter how much you adore her, climb on your chest while you are sound asleep and proceed to "make bread" on your chin is a little unsettling! Now she is always there when I start to wake, but doesn't come in for the snuggle/purr-fest until she sees my eyes open.

Sundays are the best because I have lots of time to enjoy just hanging out doing lots of nothing....digging the sun coming in the high window over my bed....and not fretting over much of anything....life is good...at least for Sundays, that is.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment