Saturday, February 6, 2010

Reality Bites...

Searching for entertainment via OnDemand (isn't that the best DVR feature ever?!), I found an old movie - Reality Bites - a coming-of-age'ish movie about life after college that came out a few years after I graduated from college with my master's degree. I remember seeing the film when it was new and being able to totally relate...but more than anything, I loved the soundtrack...still have the CD (yes, an actual physical CD that some younger than me are now using as coasters and art....?!), and even have it I have ripped it onto my Zune playlist.

Interestingly enough, when I watched this time, I could still relate....but in a much different way. Life is pretty confounding sometimes (hence the poignant title of the film) but why is it that even a movie touting the rough roads of day-to-day living ends with the male and female protagonists sappily working it out? And the story ended with no resolution of the fact that the two lovers were jobless with no prospects of said engagements...the credits begin after the two star-crossed lovers were shown smooching away laughing and giggling
in an apartment packed full of moving boxes. Wonder what happened next?

I guess the past year of my life has made me a bit wary of blind faith and happy endings...must begin to find ways to make progress on that front. For now, I'm going to put on the CD of the soundtrack and try to forget how very much reality can "bite" from time to time.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment